Last week, we added NLog to our .NET ScriptLink project to generate debugger log entries. Having NLog now configured and in place we can consider additional targets for the log entries. These targets include: the console, file, mail, databases, and more. Today, we are going to expand our configuration to use a file target, setup filters, and auto-archiving.
Our solutions will often behave unexpectedly. To understand how and why the behavior occurred requires information. Without it we may find ourselves in the position of a reported issue that cannot be understood let alone replicated. This is where logging comes into play. When done well logging can provide the information you need to identify and correct issues without compromising performance.
It can be overwhelming for behavioral health organizations running the Netsmart myAvatar to consider leveraging ScriptLink to extend its capabilities. Perhaps even more so for those who are utilizing it when it is suggested, as I did a month ago, that there are opportunities to improve. Experience, time, and cost can be significant barriers regardless of desire. These are the barriers that I hope we as a community can help each other overcome.